Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Week Seven from Brooklyn - at the Provo MTC - July 12, 2014

Be still my soul, The Lord is on thy side
All is well,

Okay first of all I just want to ask a huuuge favor of anyone who gets emails from me. Unfortunately here at the MTC we can't get on google... I was just wondering if anyone who has been on a mission would be willing to send me some of their favorite lesson outlines that answer questions that investigators might have really well. Scripture evidence is really important too. For the restoration (the 1st lesson) or the plan of salvation (2nd lesson) it would be so so so appreciated. I wish I had more time to study all of it but we only have about an hour or two for it every day. Which really is not enough.... also some ideas for approaches that help people to open up to you, "we are missionaries from the church of Jesus Christ" type of things. I would appreciate any input I can get. Mom, will you make sure Cole and Ryan do this for me? That's your assignment;)
The weeks are starting to slow down a little bit here. I am just looking forward to getting out to Russia. I am just striving to keep my head above the water with this complacency thing... heaven help me. Missionary work is hard, not in that BEING here is hard itself, it is hard to truly and consciously put forth your very best efforts every day. Any advice for that? I want to give him my all, I have that desire! But then I am a weak human being who forgets to practice with consistency throughout the day.

I just realized that all my friends are home from their missions.... Cole, Ryan, David. and Lydia comes home sooo soon! Part of me is a little jealous of that but I am happy to be here. I need to grow, and the mission is going to help that growth happen a little faster. But will someone get them to write me? I want to hear what it's like being home! 
The Elders and Sisters above us just left, and so now we are the oldest here. But we had to wake up at 3:30 in the morning to be with one of the sisters whose companion was leaving earlier than her. Walking through the MTC in the middle of the night with suit cases... really made me feel like a missionary, like that's what it'd be like, moving from place to place. Also it made me a little nervous and aware of how soon our departure will be. I am leaving in less that 2 weeks! I only have one more P-day here. We get our flight plans in two days... so on Friday. (I am secretly hoping our visas haven't gone through and we get to go to Iowa or something). 
On the 4th of July we got to watch 17 miracles and then the fireworks from the stadium of fire. It was supposed to be a "surprise" but every person knows that the missionaries get to do that hahaha. Not much of a surprise;) Mom, I will send home my MTC journal and you can read more about that later. 

So yesterday night we got to listen to our apostle Neil A. Anderson for the MTC devotional. When we took our seats I just kind of had a head ache and wasn't feeling so much like myself... but before he spoke it was announced that the choir would be singing, "Be Still My Soul," and I knew I was done for. The feeling of numbness, the shield that I had put up to defend and conceal my heart was lowered; and I surrendered to the spirit as I listened to the words. "Be still my soul: Thy God doth undertake to guide the future as he has the past." I felt the majesty of God flood through that room, I knew he was speaking to each missionary... not to worry, not to doubt, not to be discouraged with short-comings, but to be still and know that he is God. "Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake." 
I know that God knows me. I forget that I can't do this work on my own, and then suddenly my heart is hardened. But God is so smart, wants me to feel of his majesty, of what I can do with his power, and I am entitled to it! It's not that I'm choosing NOT to use it, but sometimes I just forget to use it. He uses the spirit as a gracious reminder.

I walked out of the devotional feeling so happy. I just smiled dumbly and walked around the MTC campus thinking to myself, "I am in love." with this place, with all these people, with my God. I'm in love with my mission. And that is that.

Love, Sister Wilson

  1. 1. Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
    With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
    Leave to thy God to order and provide;
    In ev'ry change he faithful will remain.
    Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend
    Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
  2. 2. Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
    To guide the future as he has the past.
    Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
    All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
    Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
    His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.
  3. 3. Be still, my soul: The hour is hast'ning on
    When we shall be forever with the Lord,
    When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
    Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
    Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
    All safe and blessed we shall meet at last

No comments:

Post a Comment